Spencer Group were awarded the design and build contract at New Cross Gate for Transport for London. The project included the improvement and conversion of New Cross Gate depot from a 4 car to a 5 car train operation for London Overground.
|Client||Transport for London|
|Contract Form||Amended NEC 3 Option C|
The works involved:
• Upgrade of the Maintenance Facility Building
• Wheel Lathe and Heavy Clean Facility extensions and modifications
• Relocation of the Wheel Lathe and Wheel Lathe earthing
• Fifth car introductory facility via a new headshunt to the north of the Wheel Lathe and Heavy Clean Building
• Washer Road modifications, including relocation of the wash plant
• Relocation and extension of the 25kV / 650DC Test Track from the Washer Road to Road 1
• Reconfiguration of the stabling roads within the Depot to accommodate 5-car trains
• Extension of the southern headshunt into New Cross Gate station
• Any operations required to retain the current capability of the depot sufficient to progress the works and maintain the capability to stable trains throughout to the required levels
Spencer Group completed all of the works on schedule which lead to high praise from TfL. To complete the works on time Spencer were required to undertake 24/7 working and, together with TfL, built a fantastic relationship with the local authority and established a great communications strategy to keep all stakeholders informed.
During the tender stage, Spencer’s in-house design team value engineered the carriage wash extension, which saved TfL approximately £300-£400k.