Job Title: Senior Design Engineer – Mechanical Building Services
Location: Hull, Humber Quays office
Salary: up to £45,000 depending on the skills & experience of the candidate
As a Senior Design Engineer you will be working in a design & build office providing working design solutions for Mechanical Building Services.
You will be adept with drafting and calculation packages, undertake calculations by hand and have a working knowledge of current standards for principal building services systems.
Whilst all work will be undertaken under the supervision of a senior member of the design team the job holder will be expected to show initiative and self-reliance.
- Receive the Clients brief/remit, formulate the scope of works and develop the design philosophy.
- Assist with the compilation of the fee for design delivery.
- Provide best value working design solutions to technical problems.
- Manage members of the design team to ensure the timely delivery of information, checking the work of other members of staff and providing assistance to their continued learning and development.
- Develop a working knowledge of the design packages that are available, including AutoCAD and Hevacomp, but also be capable of undertaking calculations by hand.
- Use AutoCAD 2D to produce detailed design drawings suitable for construction and preferably be experienced in 3D packages such as Revit or AecoSIM.
- A working knowledge of CDM regulations to ensure that designs are compliant and be able to produce Designers Risk Assessments for projects.
- Produce written reports and specifications for works.
- Undertake site surveys and compile reports as many projects will be integrated with existing buildings/infrastructure.
- Assess existing utilities for capacity to extend and produce estimates and application for new or upgraded supplies.
- Coordinate the appointment of sub consultants/specialists necessary to complete the design process.
Requirements and Qualifications
- A self-starter with the ability to work on own initiative.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to lead by example, with a strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Extensive knowledge of current markets conditions.
- Ability to work under pressure, whilst ensuring deadlines are met
- Working knowledge of;
- Current standards expected for the principal building services systems used in the industry.
- Statutory Regulations and Codes of Practice.
- Low energy technologies and meeting requirements of Building Regulations & BREEAM
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of HNC/HND in Mechanical Building Services or equivalent vocational qualifications
- Incorporated Membership of a relevant Institution (e.g. CIBSE)
- Previous experience in a building services role in a design office environment or on site
- Experience of Building Information Modelling Systems would be desirable but training will be given
- Previous experience of Railway Infrastructure projects would be beneficial but not essential