Humber Quays, Hull
Competitive Salary & Benefits
Description of Role
As Principal Civil/Structural Engineers you will have responsibility, authority and accountability for the successful execution of all civil and structural engineering activities on projects to which you are assigned within the boundaries defined by, or as delegated by the Engineering Director.
As Principal Civil/Structural Engineer you must manage projects, civil/structural staff and/or civil/structural engineering subcontracts in a safe and productive manner, deliver projects or packages on time, in line with all contract specifications, achieve full client satisfaction and meet all quality and commercial key performance indicators (KPI’s), whilst maintaining good relationships with all stakeholders and colleagues.
Work Planning & Organisation
- Plan the works on your projects to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity, producing SMART briefs for other engineers and technicians and providing clear direction and advice when required.
- Ensure all engineering and design documentation is correctly produced in accordance with Spencer Group and client procedures and securely filed, being submitted to the client within contract timescales.
- Compile and issue all necessary cost and schedule progress reports in line with company procedures, and take action in a timely manner to correct any issues likely to compromise achievement of required KPI’s or client satisfaction.
- Implement any instructions given by his/her engineering manager or engineering director.
Commercial and Risk
- Assist all other senior managers within the company to achieve better commercial performance across all divisions.
- Ensure that the company’s commercial position is not compromised at any time during project or engineering package delivery. Full adherence is required to all company statutory financial controls and procedures, and also any project specific procedures that may be required under the Contract.
- Ensure that the contract is scheduled in accordance with both the contract and client requirements.
- Work within the company’s ISO9001:2008 quality systems, ensuring all engineering and design activities are supplied to meet the Contract’s requirements, including all appropriate contract specifications and quality plans.
- Manage safety, ensuring compliance with all legal and company procedures and promoting a positive and proactive attitude to working safely at all levels.
- Ensure all health and safety regulations, risk assessments and licences are fully complied with.
- Help develop and maintain project specific quality plans.
- Responsible for the day-to-day care and security of all assigned resources.
- Mentoring, coaching and identification of up-skilling and/or development of key individuals
- Help to develop and maintain good relationships within and outside the service with all stakeholders and service users.
- Undertake all forms of contact on a daily basis including written correspondence, telephone correspondence and face-to-face contact on a range of subject areas.
- Undertake site meetings and presentations.
- Ability to perform the role as a Civil/Structural Design Engineer in terms of originating, checking and approving and, if necessary, personally deliver the engineering requirement for all stages of a project.
- Keep up with latest industry standards, technology and norms within the Rail, Energy, Industrial and General Construction sectors.
- Represent the company as an expert in civil and structural engineering.
- Act formally in the role of CRE for Network Rail (or equivalent).
- Act as an ambassador for Spencer Group, always presenting the right image to existing and potential clients. To attend meetings and forums, representing the company.
- Forge links and communication systems with clients and stakeholders.
- Assist in the estimating of Design & Build work packages and development of proposals.
- Practical knowledge of design to Eurocodes in Concrete, Steelwork, Masonry and Timber.
- Competent use of one or more of the following StaadPro, Tekla Structures or Autodesk Robot
- Experience of acting formally in the role of CRE for Network Rail (or equivalent
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Prioritising projects and related tasks.
- Budget monitoring.
- Risk Assessments, Health and Safety.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Leadership and motivating resources.
- Problem solving.
- Working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Working to company and service based objectives.
- Customer care.
- Competent use of Microsoft IT systems – Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Relevant professional Degree or vocational qualification.
- Chartered Engineer with ICE or IStructE.
- Extensive experience within the Rail, Energy, Industrial and General Construction sectors with significant success in leading teams of engineers and technicians.
- Must be fully conversant with all current civil/structural and HSE legislation appropriate to the Rail, Energy, Industrial and General construction sectors, and a comprehensive understanding of quality systems to ISO 9001 standards