Job Title: Engineering Manager (Civils & Structural)
Location: Hull, Humber Quays office
Salary: Market leading package commensurate with the skills and experience of the successful candidate
As Engineering Manager (Civil & Structural) you will be responsible for leading our Civil & Structural design engineering team, reporting directly to the Engineering Director.
The successful candidate must be able to lead the team by example, be technically strong and be able to react to the fast paced nature of design & build. You will be required to turn complex problems into simple, effective solutions and your role will be to ensure we do that as a business by delivering all civil & structural engineering sub-contracts in a safe and productive manner, on time and in line with all contract specifications, whilst achieving full client satisfaction and meeting all quality and commercial key performance indicators (KPI’s).
Due to our ICE training agreement the successful candidate will have to be a Chartered Civil Engineer, but ideally would also hold Chartered Structural Engineer status. A handover period with our current manager who has built the team over the last 20 years will ensure seamless integration into the business.
- Plan work to ensure maximum efficiency and quality, producing SMART briefs and providing clear direction and advice to team members and other stakeholders at all times.
- Ensure all documentation is accurately produced and securely filed in accordance with Spencer Group and client procedures to the correct BIM level.
- Compile and issue all necessary cost and schedule progress reports in line with company procedures, and take action in a timely manner to correct any issues likely to compromise achievement of required KPI’s or client satisfaction.
- Manage safety by design, ensuring compliance with all legal and company procedures and work with a positive and proactive attitude to safety.
- Ensure that the team is adequately resourced to deliver all tender and project designs, including the management of sub-contract consultants when the in-house team is over-utilised.
- Develop the team’s competence and ensure that apprentices and graduates are mentored correctly within the team to develop the next generation of engineers.
- Act as an ambassador for Spencer Group, always presenting the right image to existing and potential clients. Attend meetings and forums, representing the company and spotting future opportunities for the business as a whole.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Experienced Chartered Civil Engineer.
- Self-motivated and able to prioritise tasks effectively to deliver for the whole business.
- Significant and proven success in leading teams of engineers and technicians.
- The ability to lead and motivate a team under pressure and working to tight deadlines.
- Problem solver who can communicate engineering solutions in all circumstances and has developed a network of contacts within the industry at all levels to help facilitate this.
- Believes in a service mentality when delivering engineering design solutions, working collaboratively with the client, project management, procurement and construction delivery teams.
- Ability to oversee the design team and work with other project stakeholders as a Principal Designer under CDM.
- Competent use of Microsoft IT systems – Word, Excel and PowerPoint and a deep understanding of multi-dimensional engineering models and BIM protocols.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Qualifications & Experience
- Must have Civil or Structural Engineering Degree and CEng MICE.
- Already acting as an ICE S.C.E is preferable and experience of being responsible for an ICE training agreement would be advantageous.
- Extensive experience within at least three of the following sectors: Rail, Energy, Industrial, Materials Handling and General Construction.
- Have a practical knowledge of design to Eurocodes in Concrete, Steelwork, Masonry and Timber.
- Previous experience of Design & Build would be beneficial but not essential.
- Experience of working in a 3D environment is essential.
- Ability to produce detailed estimates and programmes for delivery of engineering design work that interface effectively with other project deliverables.